Powered By Blogger

Thursday, October 28, 2010

My Top 10 Musicals

 I know it's not another top 5 list, but I love musicals, my ipod used to be about 2/3 musicals, and i would listen to them constantly. I still love musicals i just can't listen to them 24/7. I also feel really lucky to live in an area with a lot of theaters, because then i get to go see musicals, and plays all the time, Here are my top 10 ( in no specific order.):

1. Les Miserables: Ok this one is in a specific order because it is probably my most favorite musical of all time. It's so sad, but so amazing, I remember seeing it for the first time a few years ago and just being amazed by it all. I was willing to go home and pay ten more dollars than Itunes usually charges to buy the original London cast recording. This year is the 25th anniversary and they are doing a show which is going to be shown at movie theaters, i'm trying to convince my parents to let me go and i hope the do! My favorite song is probably On my own, it's so beautiful but so sad.

2. 42nd Street: This is another one that i have seen live and love. I think i like it a lot because of all the dancing, I love to dance but i'm not the best dancer in the world. Also it has fun singable, danceable songs, that many people know even if they haven't seen the show! My favorite song is probably Lullaby of Broadway.

3.Bye Bye Birdie/ Hairspray - I put these two together because they take place in the same time period. I guess i'll talk about Hairspray first. I saw movie (the musical, not the original) when it came out and I loved it. The music is fun and catchy and it's just a fun plot line, It also had a pretty awesome cast. Then two years ago I saw it at one of the theaters near were i live and i was kind of disappointed because i was used to the movie version, but by the end of the show I loved it, it's a lot funnier than the movie and there were some pretty good songs that were in the play that weren't in the movie. Also something funny is when i saw it on stage Tracy's mom was played by the guy who plays The neighbor on Hannah Montana so when ever i watch HM with my sister and he's in an episode, we're like hey we've seen him! My favorite song from Hairspray is probably without love or you can't stop the beat.

I actually worked on my high schools production of Bye Bye Birdie. When i found out my school was doing Bye Bye Birdie i didn't even know what it was about. Then my family bought the movie and I was like this is ok. Then when rehearsal started I realized that the Movie is nothing like the Musical, it has the basic story line but it's so much better. It has a lot more humor and a lot more of a plot line. It's also a fun show to do because since it takes place during the 60's there's a lot of bright colors and fun costumes and the music goes with the time period. The Revival cast with John Stamos and Nolan Gerard Funk is pretty good, and I've heard their making a movie again I hope they use the revival cast. My favorite song from Bye Bye Birdie is probably A Lot of Livin’ to Do


4.Beauty and the Beast - I have seen Beauty and the Beast at least 4 times on stage including once on broadway. It's a lot cooler on broadway, I think it's just that it's a more intimate setting. The only problem is that since i was born in the 90's I probably watched the Disney version like 100 times when i see it on stage i always feel like at least one part is casted wrong. One time i saw it and the beast kind of looked like a buffalo/ monkey combination. Overall i still like seeing it on stage and it's still a very magical experience. My favorite song from Beauty and the Beast is Be our Guest, because it's such a fun number and it's always very showy.

5.Wicked- I got to see the national touring cast as my 8th grade graduation present. I had bought the soundtrack way before i saw the show because i kept on hearing Popular over and over, and i loved it. It was an awesome show and it was really interesting to see what happened before Dorothy came to Oz. I tried reading the book, but it's really long, it's good but i just got distracted by other things. I loved all the special effects and stuff. I've heard they're going to make a movie version of Wicked too and a lot of people want the original cast. But i feel like the original cast is to old so i hope they find some new people to be in it. My favorite song from wicked is either Dancing through life or Defying Gravity.

6.Footloose - I saw this show this summer, I loved it. I guess i really like the eighties so that was some of it's appeal to me. Also i was familiar with some of the music so it was fun to hear stuff i knew. I haven't seen the movie and apparently people who like the movie don't like the musical. I thought the plot was interesting, and it had a nice mix of humor and drama. Also when i saw it the theater i saw it at because it had one main rotating set piece that served as like 5 different locations. This is another one i know there remaking into a movie, I'm not sure if their making the movie or the musical but i hope it's the musical. Either way i'll probably go see it. My favorite song from footloose is Footloose!

7.Phantom Of The Opera - I have never seen Phantom on stage but it is one of my dream shows to see on stage. I do however own the movie, and every year at my churches halloween concert they do some songs from it and it sounds amazing. I love the movie and how visually beautiful it is, especially all the large group numbers like Masquerade. I love the story line too, it's such a good romance story. My only problem especially with the movie is that it's supposed to take place in France but only really one character has a french accent. I also don't really like Opera but for some reason i really like the operatic songs in this movie. My favorite song from Phantom of the Opera is All I Ask of You.

8.West Side Story - One of my favorite classic musicals, even though my school did this my freshman year i've never actually seen it on stage. I like that it's a more modern Romeo and Juliet, because Romeo and Juliet is one of my favorite romantic tragedy. I love all the huge dance numbers, like the scene were their at the dance at the gym and the fight between the two gangs. The music is beautiful too but some of them are kind of annoying lol. My favorite song from West Side Story is America and I Feel Pretty.

9.Rent - Ok another show i've never seen on stage, but i have seen the movie, and i have both the Movie and Broadway soundtrack. I find it interesting that a lot of the original cast plays the same roles in the movie. Even though it's a pretty depressing story, i like in the end that it's uplifting. I also like that theres a mix of characters. My favorite characters are Roger and Mimi, their probably one of my favorite musical couples ever. I also think that were i liked Adam Pascal and Rosario Dawson playing them best I also really liked Aaron Tveit and Vanessa Hudgens too. My favorite song is probably Another Day.

10.Godspell- I've seen this twice, and one thing i like about it, is how you can basically do it a bunch of different ways, but it still makes sense at gets the point across. I have seen it both as a teacher and high school students, and campers and camp counselors. Also you can change it to fit with the current times, so there aren't a bunch of references that nobody's going to get. I like it a lot, all the different characters and kind of how they act out/tell these different stories. Overall I love this show and it's a fun show to see because it's always a little bit different every time i see it. My favorite song is Day By Day.

I like a lot more musicals then just these ten, I can't think of all of them right now. what are your favorite musicals?

No comments:

Post a Comment