Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Favorite Books I've read for school

One of my favorite hobbies is reading! I'm normally reading at least two books at the same time if not three! I guess another thing that makes me different from a lot of typical high school students is that if a teacher assigns us a book to read I normally enjoy reading it! Here are some of my favorite books I've read in school over the past couple of years:

1. To Kill a Mockingbird - I read this book in both 7th grade an 9th grade. It is one of my favorite books of all time. I own probably about 3 different copies of it including a copy signed by Harper Lee. I love the story and how interesting the characters are. I've also seen the movie and even though I like the movie they take out some of the best parts. Another thing I really like about it is that when reading it in a class it can help create some pretty interesting conversations, half of my freshman lit class created an argument about how Tom Robinson might actually be guilty.

2. The Outsiders - I read this in 8th grade, it was one of my favorite books i had read in a long time. I keep on wanting to buy it every time i go to a bookstore but something always stops me i don't know why. It's another book with extremely interesting characters and good twist and turns along the way. 

3. Short Stories - Ok so this isn't technically a book, but in every english class i take for some reason we always read at least three short stories. Back in middle school we had to read The Tell Tale Heart which inspired me to go check out a book of Edgar Allen Poe Short stories. I like the creepy short stories not like boring nothing happens short stories. Some of my favorite short stories are The Lottery by Shirley Jackson, The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell, Twirler by Jane Martin and The Yellow Wall Paper by Charlotte Perkins Gillman. 

4. Lord of The Flies - I read this in 10th grade were it isn't my favorite book it is pretty interesting. I like all the contrast between the characters. I also liked all the symbolism I really like books with a lot of symbolism because they cause you to think. I mean i guess my main reason for disappointment with this book is that all that I heard about it wasn't actually true so I was expecting a lot to happen that didn't actually happen. 

5. The Lovely Bones - I'm reading this currently, and it is probably my favorite book i've read this year. I'm only partway through and it's one of the those books that makes you want to keep reading even though the chapters after the first chapter are kind of slow. I really like the story line and how she's watching everybody, i also like how i feel like it's easy to relate with the characters. 

What are your favorite books that you have had to read for school?

No comments:

Post a Comment